May 29, 2008

4 Tips for the Single Person on a Budget

I've been thinking a lot lately about ways to save money as I'm trying to save to go on vacation. I'm a single person and I live in an apartment so I don't have much room to store things or much money to play around with. But the following are tips that I use to help me save a few dollars.

1. Buy in bulk. Invest in a  membership at your local Sam's Club or Costco and split its cost with some friends. Have each friend pitch in a bit and you can save tons. Toilet paper rolls, paper towels, soda pop, water, multiple-package boxed food items, canned goods and much more can easily be split several ways.

2. Buy produce at farmers' markets. As summer rolls along, farmers' markets and roadside stands will be popping up all over the place. Support your local farmers and save a few bucks. Local produce is less expensive because there are no middle men. And how much fresher can you get?

3. Save money. Putting $5-10 a week into your savings account will force you to rethink the McDonald's drive-thru or your favorite Starbucks coffee.

4. Show some plastic. I'm not talking about credit cards. I'm talking about AAA (American Automotive Association) The basic plan runs around $50.00 and covers roadside assistance. But here's the sweetest part: You can get discounts at retail stores like Target, Linens n'Things, Barnes&Noble.com, DirectTV, and Best Buy to name a few. Going on a trip? Discounts are also available for hotels, attractions, entertainment tickets, car rentals and more.